- Tuesday, 8 September 2020 at 11:15 am
FRV crews arrived on scene within two minutes of being dispatched, just after 7pm.
Wearing breathing apparatus for protection from the smoke, crews entered the property and work to extinguish the fire.
They managed to contain the blaze to the kitchen and adjacent roof area.
Thankfully, a family of four evacuated without injury. Victoria Police is assisting in finding them alternative accommodation.
Approximately 24 firefighters worked together to bring the fire under control within half an hour.
The fire was believed to be caused by burnt food in the kitchen.
Ambulance Victoria and Victoria Police assisted FRV at the incident.
Tips for staying fire safe in the kitchen:
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Always supervise children in the kitchen.
- Keep stove top, griller, oven, range hood and cooking areas free from built up grease, dust and oil.
- Keep flammable items such as tea towels and paper towels away from cooking and heat sources.
- Ensure kitchen appliances are clean and in good working order.
- A fire extinguisher and fire blanket should be stored within easy reach but away from the cooking area. Only use a fire extinguisher or fire blanket if you feel physically and mentally able to use the equipment safely.