FLAMES is a home fire safety education program specifically tailored for secondary aged students newly arrived in Australia and studying English as an Additional Language (EAL). It is available to all English Language Schools and Centres in the Fire Rescue Victoria area.
The main feature of FLAMES is a 60 - 90 minute firefighter delivered presentation on the roles of FRV firefighters and on home fire safety that includes these topics:
- FRV and Roles of Firefighters
- Home Fire Dangers and Prevention
- Smoke Alarms – purpose, positioning and maintenance
- Home Fire Escape Planning
- Calling Triple Zero (000)
- Summer Fire Safety
The FLAMES program is:
- designed to fit into an exit program in EAL classes
- offered up to four times a year to each school/centre to cater for each exit class.
- aimed at single EAL classes to promote maximum participation and interaction between firefighters and students.
Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing tasks for pre-presentation and post-presentation enrichment are included.