FRV crews arrived to the scene within seven minutes and located a fire on the third level of an apartment complex.
Residents from neighbouring units were evacuated as a safety precaution while firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze.
The blaze was declared under control 20 minutes after FRV crews arrived at the scene and no injuries were reported.
At the height of the incident there were seven firefighting appliances at the scene, along with a command unit.
The fire was contained the to the kitchen area and it is believed to have started on an electric cooktop stove.
Victoria Police and Ambulance Victoria assisted at the scene.
Kitchen Fire Safety Tips:
- Check that the stove, cooktop, oven and other heat sources are turned off before leaving home or going to sleep.
- Never use water to extinguish an oil or grease fire.
- Always supervise children in the kitchen.
- Keep items that could burn at least 1 metre away from cooking and heat sources.
- Keep stovetop, griller, oven, range hood and cooking area free from built-up grease and oil.
- If a fire occurs in your home, get out, stay out and call Triple Zero (000).
Reviewed 23 June 2021