Many items stored in homes, garages, or workshops can be hazardous.
Many items stored in homes, garages, or workshops can be hazardous including:
- cleaning fluids
- garden fertilisers
- caustic materials
- pool chemicals such as chlorine.
Always store these items according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Chemicals may be poisonous, flammable, or volatile when mixed. You should always:
- Read the label before purchasing to understand the correct use and the dangers posed.
- Keep in the original containers - never decant into other bottles or containers.
- Keep all labelling intact and readable (including warning labels and manufacturers’ instructions).
- Follow manufacturers’ instructions for handling and protective equipment (such as goggles and gloves).
- Store different types of dangerous goods separately (including liquids and powders).
- Store, keep, and use chemicals and dangerous goods away from ignition sources.
- Keep dangerous goods and chemicals in a secure location, out of reach of children.
If in doubt, contact the manufacturer for safety information. Manufacturers must have this information on their products.
Reviewed 26 June 2020