When it is not a Total Fire Ban day, your activity must comply with municipal by-laws.
Contact your local council to find out more.
During all ceremonial fires and smoking ceremonies in open air you should:
- Always keep three metres of clear area around the fire.
- Only use natural dry wood.
- Never use petrol or other chemicals to light a fire.
- Do not put items such as plastic or glass into a fire.
- Supervise a fire at all times, don’t walk away.
- Always supervise children around fires.
- Extinguish wood fires with water.
- Ensure a fire is cold before leaving.
Reviewed 30 November 2020